[MATHLINK] MCLS Conference Announcements July 22

MCLS Trainee mclstrainee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 10:18:05 CST 2020

Dear MCLS Community,

We hope everyone is holding up and doing relatively well! A few quick
announcements.

   1. Our chat with educators is up on the YouTube channel:
   https://youtu.be/bV4HI6zyrvw. It was truly one of the best and most
   thought-provoking presentations yet, so please make a point to watch it!
   2. Please join us for our next symposium this Friday, July 24 at 11am
   EST//4pm BST. Sabrina Di Lonardo Burr (Carleton University), David
   Braithwaite (Florida State University), Kelsey MacKay (Katholieke
   Universiteit Leuven), and Tom Faulkenberry (Tarleton State University) will
   be presenting “Representations and knowledge structures for fractions and
   rational numbers.” The abstract is below. Make sure you’ve pre-registered
   for Friday talks!
   3. Be sure to mark your calendars for our first poster and lightning
   talk session next Thursday, July 30 at 9am EST//2pm BST! Virtual posters
   will be posted on the @MCLStrainee twitter account and authors will be
   available both on Zoom and on Twitter to respond to your questions.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing you Friday!

The MCLS Training Board and Conference Committee

*Representations and knowledge structures for fractions and rational
numbers*

Over the last two decades, researchers in numerical cognition have expanded
their investigations beyond the context of single-digit numbers and have
started to consider issues concerning numbers with more complex
mathematical structure. In this symposium, we will focus on fractions and
rational numbers, a field in which many open questions remain. As a result
of the added complexity that fractions present, a number of new techniques
and theoretical models have been brought to the field in order to tackle
these open questions. This symposium will feature four talks from
researchers who, as a group, reflect diverse international perspectives and
multiple career stages. The talks will each provide a unique perspective on
central questions about representations and knowledge structures for
fractions and rational numbers, including procedural and conceptual
knowledge in rational number arithmetic, number line estimation with
children, the role of the base-10 system in fraction magnitude
representation, and mathematical modeling of processing architectures with
symbolic fractions.