[MATHLINK] Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow in Cognitive Development and Learning at the University of Nottingham, UK

Jo-Anne LeFevre joanne.lefevre at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 06:54:56 CST 2020

Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow to work with Dr Lucy Cragg (University of Nottingham) and Dr Camilla Gilmore (Loughborough University) on an ESRC funded project examining the role of inhibitory control in learning multiplication tables.

The aims of the project are to identify when and how inhibitory control is involved in the process of learning new number facts, how different features of multiplication tables learning resources alter the need for inhibitory control, and the efficacy of stand-alone inhibitory control training for supporting number fact learning. These questions will be investigated using a combination of experimental and training studies with both primary-school aged children and young adults.

Candidates should have (or be near completion of) a PhD in Psychology or a related discipline. The ideal candidate will have practical experience of running experiments relevant to cognitive development and learning, alongside excellent data analysis and communication skills.

The successful candidate will join a large and vibrant research group studying cognitive development and learning at the University of Nottingham. The School of Psychology has excellent resources for carrying out research with children, including dedicated lab space, good links with schools and a large participant database. It is located in the attractive University Park campus, with an adjacent tram stop allowing easy access to the city of Nottingham. The role holder will also benefit from close links with the world-leading Centre for Mathematical Cognition at Loughborough University.

This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract for a period of three years from 1st October 2020. This is a full-time (36.25 hours per week) post, however applications are also welcome from candidates wishing to work part-time (minimum 30 hours per week). Please specify in your application if you wish to work part-time and the number of preferred hours.

Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr Lucy Cragg, email: lucy.cragg at nottingham.ac.uk <mailto:lucy.cragg at nottingham.ac.uk>. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted. For more information and to apply online, visit https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/currentvacancies/ref/SCI091620 <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/currentvacancies/ref/SCI091620>. Closing date: Thursday 2nd July.

Our University has always been a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community. We warmly welcome those of different cultures, ethnicities and beliefs – indeed this very diversity is vital to our success, it is fundamental to our values and enriches life on campus. We welcome applications from UK, Europe and from across the globe. For more information on the support we offer our international colleagues, visit; https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/applyingfromoverseas/index2.aspx <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/applyingfromoverseas/index2.aspx>

--
Dr Lucy Cragg | Associate Professor
School of Psychology | University of Nottingham | University Park | Nottingham | NG7 2RD

Working days: Monday - Thursday

attachment.

where permitted by law.