[MATHLINK] PhD and Postdoc positions in cognitive development and learning

Marcus Lindskog marcus.lindskog at psyk.uu.se
Mon May 25 06:35:57 CST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for cross-postings.

At the Department of Education at Uppsala University, we have recently started a new research environment to conduct research in the intersection between cognitive psychology, education, and neuroscience. We are now looking for a PhD candidate and a one-year postdoctoral research to join us. Below is short description of the two positions and links to the adds. Deadline for applications is June 1st and a tentative starting date is September 1st. Please feel free to share with any potential candidates or reach out to me with questions.

PhD Position in Didactics with a Focus on Cognitive Development and Learning

This PhD position in Didactics is connected to a newly started research environment where insights and methods from developmental and cognitive psychology are used to investigate children’s cognitive development and learning. There is a particular focus on children in preschool and elementary school. We conduct both basic and applied research about, for example, how children acquire mathematical concepts, what cognitive abilities are essential of learning, and how positive and negative experiences influence children’s development and learning. In our research, we use a range of quantitative and experimental methods (e.g., EEG, eye-tracking, behavior experiments, and computational models).

The PhD-student will work on research questions related to ongoing projects within the environment. It is desirable to have experience of working with children. It is also desirable to have experience of, or a willingness to learn, quantitative research methods.

Link to add: https://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/join-us/details/?positionId=328966

Researcher (Postdoc) in cognitive development and learning

We are looking for a motivated researcher with a background in neuroscience, psychology, education sciences, or similar area, to work within ongoing projects in the research environment. Our research uses a wide range of quantitative methods (e.g., EEG, eye-tracking, behavioral experiments, computational modeling) to study how children learn mathematical concepts, what cognitive abilities are important to learning, and how positive and negative life experiences influence children´s development and learning. The position involves, in collaboration with other members of the research environment, planning and completion of studies within the larger project and writing up the results for publication in scientific journals as well as for presentation on international conferences. Administration and teaching (max 20%) might also be included.

Required qualifications: PhD in neuroscience, psychology, educational sciences or similar subject. Applicants with a PhD completed within five years from the end of the application date will be given priority.

Additional Qualifications: Experience with own research in the intersection between neuroscience, psychology, and educational science. Experience with one or more of the methods used in the project (e.g., EEG, eye-tracking, behavioral experiments, computational modeling) and willingness to learn the others. Excellent skills in spoken and written English.

Programing knowledge and experience of using R, MATLAB or Python for statistical analysis, computational modeling and/or data collection. Excellent organizational skills and experience of project management are also desirable.

 Link to add: https://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/join-us/details/?positionId=328241

Best regards,
Marcus Lindskog

Marcus Lindskog, PhD

Senior Researcher
Uppsala Child and Baby Lab
Department of Psychology
Uppsala university
marcus.lindskog at psyk.uu.se<mailto:marcus.lindskog at psyk.uu.se>

Senior Lecturer
Department of Education
Uppsala university
marcus.lindskog at edu.uu.se<mailto:marcus.lindskog at edu.uu.se>

När du har kontakt med oss på Uppsala universitet med e-post så innebär det att vi behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur vi gör det kan du läsa här: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

E-mailing Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. For more information on how this is performed, please read here: http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/data-protection-policy