[MATHLINK] Join us for our academic jobs panel tomorrow, August 20!

MCLS Trainee mclstrainee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 09:55:41 CST 2021

Dear MCLS Community,

Going on the academic job market this year or planning to in the next few
years? Wow, do we have a treat for you!

We're excited to see you all for our academic job market panel
tomorrow (*Friday
Aug 20*, 11am ET // 4pm BST) featuring MCLS members Julia Bahnmueller,
Jenny Chan, Sarah Eason, Karina Hamamouche, Mojtaba Soltanlou, and Eric
Wilkey. See below for brief bios. Our panelists are Assistant Professors in
the US, England, and Hong Kong and have experiences applying to jobs in a
range of countries and settings. If you have questions you'd like answered
(no matter how silly it may seem!) we encourage you to ask them here:
https://forms.gle/sR5otUzxzdvGSYUk8

As always, you can join the room for this year's meetings at any time from
the link https://tinyurl.com/MCLS2021
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__the-2Dmcls.us20.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D52a664da881817eed812437d0-26id-3De7b266feb4-26e-3Df13dd00558&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=VayoKepUaVSDRZHcUhnIjw&m=cGymkx2YIzmcuGdiLpTByJ_tXIXkWYvHu6VPjfWjUN0&s=RLCgmvNz6V7kk6m1sXgPE_GRTwJ5HCKqOjyI3s_JEHs&e=>
(Meeting
ID: 225 833 7242, Passcode: MCLS2021).

Thanks so much and we hope to see you tomorrow!
The MCLS Conference Organizing Committee

------------------------------
*Past Events and News: *

   - Did you miss last week's symposium? It's available to watch now
on the MCLS
   Trainee
   <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__the-2Dmcls.us20.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D52a664da881817eed812437d0-26id-3D692fc5c9d3-26e-3Df13dd00558&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=VayoKepUaVSDRZHcUhnIjw&m=cGymkx2YIzmcuGdiLpTByJ_tXIXkWYvHu6VPjfWjUN0&s=tNuTEBUbe38Av4Oremi6dNTlS_BHxRE4Vnqm8PhuO_I&e=>
   Youtube
   <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__the-2Dmcls.us20.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D52a664da881817eed812437d0-26id-3Dc7c01a7fb4-26e-3Df13dd00558&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=VayoKepUaVSDRZHcUhnIjw&m=cGymkx2YIzmcuGdiLpTByJ_tXIXkWYvHu6VPjfWjUN0&s=jFpR6J5JbINg_OLenMn1x6zv_vH9lyUBIFiYj0_nrGc&e=>
    channel
   <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__the-2Dmcls.us20.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D52a664da881817eed812437d0-26id-3D67d072039f-26e-3Df13dd00558&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=VayoKepUaVSDRZHcUhnIjw&m=cGymkx2YIzmcuGdiLpTByJ_tXIXkWYvHu6VPjfWjUN0&s=YQarbUmvLx7sKzpuQiv2DTXapgYCOeDAusPWg32sMK4&e=>
   !
   - Also, be sure to check out the current version of the full MCLS 2021
   program by clicking here
   <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__the-2Dmcls.us20.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D52a664da881817eed812437d0-26id-3Dc020e1ce61-26e-3Df13dd00558&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=VayoKepUaVSDRZHcUhnIjw&m=cGymkx2YIzmcuGdiLpTByJ_tXIXkWYvHu6VPjfWjUN0&s=Ca19Cfmi0bP6piZU7nQc6jT83TJ613eU1WcynG3pVGw&e=>
   .

*Upcoming Events and News:*

   - Thursday, August 26th @ 9:00-10:00am EST // 2:00-3:00pm BST - TBA
   (Organizer: TBA)

------------------------------

*Presenters & Bios:*
*Karina Hamamouche*
Dr. Karina Hamamouche is an Assistant Professor of Psychology at Butler
University in Indianapolis, Indiana. She joined the faculty at Belmont
University in 2019 after receiving her PhD in Developmental Psychology from
Boston College earlier that year. Prior to attending Boston College, she
received her BA in Psychology and French from Butler University. Dr.
Hamamouche's research focuses on how children learn about number and time.
She is interested in how these abilities develop and how an understanding
of quantities relates to formal academic achievement. She loves to travel
and is an avid college basketball fan.

*Mojtaba Soltanlou*
I studied Occupational Therapy for my undergraduate and graduate degrees in
Iran and worked with children with developmental and learning disorders
between 2005 and 2012. I received my PhD in Neuroscience in 2017 from the
University of Tuebingen, Germany (summa cum laude). I then completed a
two-year postdoctoral fellowship at Tuebingen, and moved to Western
University, Canada in 2020, to do my second postdoctoral fellowship. I will
start my faculty position as an assistant professor (or lecturer in the UK)
from September.

*Eric Wilkey*
Eric Wilkey earned his M. Ed. in Mind, Brain and Education from Harvard,
his PhD in Neuroscience from Vanderbilt University, and completed a
postdoctoral fellowship at Western University in London, Ontario. His
research focuses broadly on the development of mathematical skills and the
neurocognitive mechanisms that enable mathematical cognition using
behavioral and neuroimaging methods, particularly structural and functional
MRI.

*Jenny Yun-Chen Chan*
Jenny Yun-Chen Chan is a research scientist in Learning Sciences and
Technologies Program at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Her work focuses
on (a) the effects of *perceptual and contextual features* in the
environment on learning mathematics and (b) the *influences of language and
executive function skills* on mathematical thinking. She will join the
Department of Early Childhood Education at the Education University of Hong
Kong as an Assistant Professor in Fall 2022.

*Sarah Eason*
Sarah Eason is an Assistant Professor in Human Development and Family
Studies at Purdue. Previously, she worked as a postdoctoral researcher at
the University of Chicago after receiving her PhD in Human Development at
the University of Maryland. Her research focuses on how experiences and
social interactions in informal learning settings such as the home
environment equip children with the skills and knowledge they need to do
well in school and beyond.

*Julia Bahnmueller*
Julia Bahnmueller studied psychology at the University of Tuebingen,
Germany, where she received her PhD in 2018. Julia is a trained dyscalculia
therapist allowing her to both put her theoretical knowledge into practice
and to feed research and teaching with questions and input resulting from
the work with children, learning therapists, instructors and parents. Julia
joined the Centre for Mathematical Cognition at the University of
Loughborough in April 2020.