[MATHLINK] Open-Rank Position in Mathematical Learning and Mathematical Disabilities Vanderbilt

Barnes, Marcia marcia.barnes at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Nov 25 18:06:20 CST 2021

Dear Colleagues

Please see the following ad for an open rank position in Mathematical Learning and Disability.

Sincerely,

Marcia A. Barnes, Ph.D.
Professor of Special Education
Department of Special Education | Vanderbilt University
OMC 406 | 110 Magnolia Circle | Nashville, TN  37203
marcia.barnes at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:marcia.barnes at vanderbilt.edu>

Job Description
Faculty Position in the Area of High-Incidence Disabilities with an Emphasis on Mathematical Learning and Disability
Department of Special Education
Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College

The Department of Special Education at Peabody College of Vanderbilt University invites applications for an open-rank faculty position with a focus on mathematical learning and mathematical disabilities. We are seeking an emerging or established leader whose research addresses critical issues in school-age children with or at risk for disabilities in mathematics. Responsibilities include carrying out an influential program of research, teaching undergraduate and master’s level courses including in our teacher preparation program, advising graduate students, securing external funding, collaborating with schools and agencies that serve diverse students, and providing service to the university and profession. Opportunities for cross-departmental collaborations relating to math learning may also be available (e.g., Psychology and Human Development Department, Department of Teaching and Learning).

For over five decades, our Department has been a leader in research and graduate training focused on individuals with disabilities, their families, and the schools and agencies that serve them. Our faculty are highly collaborative and invested in research that is ambitious, innovative, and inspiring. We partner with school districts, disability organizations, community groups, and the Tennessee Department of Education to meet the needs of students with disabilities from a wide variety of backgrounds, as well as to prepare the next generation of teachers and scholars. We also share Vanderbilt’s commitment to diversity in the pursuit of excellence in learning and discovery. This investment in inclusive excellence spans all of our research, teaching, advising, and service endeavors. Among Vanderbilt undergraduates, 40% of students are racial minorities, 8% are international students, and more than 66% receive financial assistance. We are seeking faculty who have experience and a strong commitment to working with students who represent a diversity of backgrounds. Peabody College and Vanderbilt University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Information about our College’s and University’s commitments to equity, diversity, and inclusion can be found at  https://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/admin-offices/office-of-equity-diversity-and-inclusion/and https://www.vanderbilt.edu/diversity/

Candidates should submit an application letter that includes their teaching interests and a summary of their past experiences, leadership or planned contributions to the field related to equity and diversity, a curriculum vitae, three samples of scholarly writing, and contact information for three people from whom letters of reference may be requested. A doctorate in special education, education, psychology, or a related field is required. Employment will also require a background clearance check. Vanderbilt University has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University recently announced that students, faculty, and staff, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at Vanderbilt, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Effective, August 1, 2021, proof of full vaccination or an approved accommodation will be required before the start of employment in order to work at Vanderbilt University.

Application materials should be submitted to https://apply.interfolio.com/97705 . Questions regarding this position should be directed to Marcia Barnes, Search Chair at marcia.barnes at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:marcia.barnes at vanderbilt.edu>. Review of applications will begin November 30th and continue until the position is filled.