[MATHLINK] FW: Two job openings: SPAtial Cognition to Enhance mathematical learning (SPACE)

Ribner, Andrew David andy.ribner at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 20 08:38:25 CST 2022

See below for some exciting jobs from the SPACE project at the University of Surrey!

From: Emily Farran <e.farran at surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 9:32 AM
To: mathlink at the-mcls.org <mathlink at the-mcls.org>
Subject: Two job openings: SPAtial Cognition to Enhance mathematical learning (SPACE)

Dear all

Please can you distribute the job adverts below to potential candidates?

Thank you

Emily
Job opening 1 of 2

SPAtial Cognition to Enhance mathematical learning (SPACE)

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (1A)

Start date: 9th February 2023

Duration: 12 months
Primary work place: School of Psychology, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
Line manager & Principal Investigator: Prof. Emily Farran
The Project and the Role

The SPAtial Cognition to Enhance mathematical learning (SPACE) programme is a 6-week Lego construction intervention designed for 6- to 7-year-old children, which requires children to build Lego models using pictorial instructions. SPACE is based on our successful Block Construction for Mathematics (BLOCs)<https://www.surrey.ac.uk/block-construction-skills-mathematics-blocs> programme. The project aims to design (Phase 1) and implement (Phase 2) the SPACE intervention across fifteen schools. Based on a robust literature, we predict that children who take part in the SPACE programme will demonstrate mathematics improvement, with the largest gains for children from disadvantaged backgrounds.

You will be part of a strong team of experts in spatial cognition and mathematical cognition. In Phase 1, you will create the SPACE intervention material by adapting and expanding the BLOCs intervention to be suitable for 6- to 7-year-olds. This involves increasing our training provision for practitioners (drawing from our spatial reasoning toolkit<http://earlymaths.org/spatial-reasoning/>) and challenge testing the intervention material with children. In Phase 2, you will deliver training to practitioners and support practitioners to implement the SPACE intervention. You will also contribute to report writing, presentations, publications and dissemination to non-academic audiences.

You will have a PhD or equivalent qualification in Psychology or a related subject (or will be close to finishing your PhD), have experience in conducting cognitive behavioural studies and standard data coding, and be a strong team member with excellent communication and organisational skills.

The University of Surrey
The post-holder will be based in the School of Psychology at the University of Surrey. The University of Surrey is located on a beautiful, leafy campus in Guildford, just 30 miles from London and benefitting from excellent rail and road connections. We are an ambitious, research-led organization, committed to research excellence and to the application of our research for the benefit of society. The University of Surrey is amongst the highest achieving universities in the United Kingdom. The School of Psychology has a long-standing reputation for its vibrant and supportive research and teaching environment. Psychology at Surrey has a strong track record of innovation in Psychology and we are immensely proud of where we have come from. From the discovery of the McGurk effect, being a pioneer in environmental psychology teaching, our Clinical Doctorates, the shaping of cross-European approaches to food labelling, to changing educational approaches to national identity. Being at the forefront of the development of research and innovation, we are also directly

contributing to the wider Faculty and University research themes. The School currently houses 500+ UG students, 100+ Masters and 150+ taught Doctorate and PhD students and more than 70 staff.

In addition to your salary, you will receive pension contributions via the Universities Superannuation Scheme, a generous annual leave entitlement, an attractive research environment, and access to a variety of staff development opportunities. Our benefits package also includes an exclusive discounted membership package to the Surrey Sports Park and an on-site Nursery.
You are welcome to contact Prof. Emily Farran (e.farran at surrey.ac.uk<mailto:e.farran at surrey.ac.uk>) if you would like further information or to discuss the post.

To apply use the link below:
https://jobs.surrey.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=12727&forced=2

Job opening 2 of 2

SPAtial Cognition to Enhance mathematical learning (SPACE)

Project Officer (Level 4)

Start date: 9th February 2023

Duration: 12 months, 0.5FTE
Primary work place: School of Psychology, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
Line manager & Principal Investigator: Prof. Emily Farran
The Project and the Role

The SPAtial Cognition to Enhance mathematical learning (SPACE) programme is a 6-week Lego construction intervention designed for 6- to 7-year-old children, which involves children building Lego models using pictorial instructions. The project aims to design (Phase 1) and implement (Phase 2) the SPACE intervention across fifteen schools. Based on a robust literature and existing interventions, we predict that children who take part in the SPACE programme will demonstrate mathematics improvement, with the largest gains for children from disadvantaged backgrounds.

You will provide a professional and efficient service supporting the SPACE project and associated administrative tasks. You will be responsible for communicating with and coordinating activity of the SPACE team, to ensure that project objectives and milestones are met. This includes recruiting and managing sessional staff, organising and managing the intervention timetable and the preparation of intervention packs, managing a small budget, recruiting 17 primary schools (facilitated by Learnus and the existing SPACE team network of schools) and liaising with media companies, removal companies, the funder (Education Endowment Foundation) and the independent project evaluation team.

You will be part of a strong team of experts in spatial cognition and mathematical cognition. In Phase 1, we will create the SPACE intervention material. This involves expanding existing training provision for practitioners and recruiting two schools for challenge testing the intervention material with children. For Phase 2, we will deliver the SPACE intervention to fifteen schools. This involves recruiting the schools, ordering Lego and preparing intervention material, working with removal companies to ensure successful Lego delivery, liaising with schools, the funder and the independent project evaluation team to ensure the smooth running of the intervention, and communicating with the SPACE team on all aspects of intervention delivery.

[...]

https://jobs.surrey.ac.uk/VM/Applications.aspx?jobId=12728

____________________________
Professor Emily K. Farran
University of Surrey
06AC05, School of Psychology
Guildford
Surrey
GU2 7XH
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/people/emily-farran<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surrey.ac.uk%2Fpeople%2Femily-farran&data=02%7C01%7Ce.farran%40surrey.ac.uk%7C39ff4fabe4d849f6a77b08d6e9fa874d%7C6b902693107440aa9e21d89446a2ebb5%7C0%7C0%7C636953659559153357&sdata=wLtlxYl8qaaDHpvvyQ8gh61mmB7%2FmnD%2BMiU0eWWyPIY%3D&reserved=0>
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/cognition-genes-and-developmental-variability-lab

[cid:image001.png at 01D8E470.06D08AB0][cid:image002.png at 01D8E470.06D08AB0]<https://openbadgepassport.com/app/badge/info/402656>

Senate House, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH, UK
Join us on: Twitter<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F1pjtrrk&data=04%7C01%7Ce.farran%40surrey.ac.uk%7C9d6f304c4397460ac3e808d999e8ff78%7C6b902693107440aa9e21d89446a2ebb5%7C0%7C0%7C637710048254780544%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=YSST2WX5DMYu9m7vQ3MPopHFmA%2BzZgXYZdoRUihWWG0%3D&reserved=0> | Facebook<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fon.fb.me%2F1xY68sf&data=04%7C01%7Ce.farran%40surrey.ac.uk%7C9d6f304c4397460ac3e808d999e8ff78%7C6b902693107440aa9e21d89446a2ebb5%7C0%7C0%7C637710048254780544%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=fCsBry4SkoGgnFgw5V4Jcw9c2DC1z%2Bp5upVjXEk2fSs%3D&reserved=0> | YouTube<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F2yjAtft&data=04%7C01%7Ce.farran%40surrey.ac.uk%7C9d6f304c4397460ac3e808d999e8ff78%7C6b902693107440aa9e21d89446a2ebb5%7C0%7C0%7C637710048254790496%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=BnGQInd%2BtrSRF2i6FvgePrydQZ1Qrl29qSdqk0MqRf8%3D&reserved=0> | Instagram<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F2aRt6i&data=04%7C01%7Ce.farran%40surrey.ac.uk%7C9d6f304c4397460ac3e808d999e8ff78%7C6b902693107440aa9e21d89446a2ebb5%7C0%7C0%7C637710048254790496%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=CiScwCs2iVoZ%2B8%2Bt824sNAIhTRYjGkJUyMbJkrRtgVE%3D&reserved=0>