[MATHLINK] Postdoc Position at the University of York [on behalf of Silke Göbel]

Ribner, Andy andy.ribner at pitt.edu
Wed Dec 13 10:37:56 CST 2023

Dear MCLS Community,

Please see below from a posting for a postdoc position with Prof Silke Göbel and Dr Tom Hartley. Relatedly, I have been made aware that some email domains are unable to post to the MATHLINK listserv (this appears to be affecting all emails with a york.ac.uk domain). If you have found that you are unable to post to the MATHLINK listserv and are getting a bounce notification that say something about a “DMARC Reject Policy” please let me know!

Thanks!

Post-doc position at the University of York (UK)

We are looking for a full-time Postdoctoral Research Associate to work with Prof Silke Göbel and Dr Hartley for 21 months (with a possible extension up to 24 months).

The research project is in collaboration with Dr Andre Knops at the Université de Paris, France, and Prof Martin Fischer at the University of Potsdam, Germany.

The aim of the overall project is to investigate the Boundary Conditions of Conceptual Spaces (BounCeS<https://www.york.ac.uk/psychology/research/development-and-cultural-processes/numerical-cognition-lab/projects/bounces/>). The overarching project looks at the structure of conceptual knowledge using a variety of methods to compare “spatial” and “non-spatial” explanations.

The UK-arm of the project is focused on the development of numerical cognition in children. Specifically, we will investigate the way that signature effects of the numerical magnitude representation emerge as children acquire symbolic understanding of number and arithmetic fluency. We will also look at changes in associations between these effects and spatial representation during development. Studies will consist of a series of cross-sectional eye- and motion-tracking experiments with children aged 4 to 12 years and adults. The post-holder will have the opportunity to contribute to the design of the planned research and will develop and program new tasks and analyses, writing up the results for publication and have the following qualifications and skills:

  *   A PhD (or nearly completed PhD) in experimental, developmental or cognitive psychology, cognitive neuroscience
  *   Excellent programming skills (e.g., Python, MATLAB, R)
  *   Experience in designing and programming eye-/motion-tracking experiments and in analysing eye-/motion-tracking data
  *   Experience of working with children
  *   Experience of writing up research work for publication

Application deadline: 04 January 2024

more information and how to apply <https://jobs.york.ac.uk/vacancy/research-associate-544074.html>

For informal enquiries: please contact Silke Goebel on silke.goebel at york.ac.uk<mailto:silke.goebel at york.ac.uk> or Tom Hartley on tom.hartley at york.ac.uk<mailto:tom.hartley at york.ac.uk>.

--

Andrew Ribner, PhD

Research Associate
Learning Research and Development Center
University of Pittsburgh

Incoming Assistant Professor of Psychology
Chatham University

https://calendly.com/andyribner